Health – Allied Health & Mental Health

What do they do?

Allied health professionals work with people to identify and assess issues and provide treatment. They also support the attainment of skills, recovery and reablement.

Allied Health roles include:

  • Arts Therapist
  • Audiologist
  • Chiropractor
  • Dietician
  • Exercise Physiologist
  • Genetic Counsellor
  • Music Therapist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Optometrist
  • Orthoptist
  • Orthotist/Prosthetist
  • Osteopath
  • Perfusionist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Podiatrist
  • Psychologist
  • Rehabilitation counsellor
  • Social Worker
  • Sonographer
  • Speech Pathologist

For further information on each of these roles and educational requirements visit -

Mental Health professionals support their clients in addressing mental health issues. This is undertaken through the assessment of client needs, delivery of counselling (to individuals or groups), liaison with other community groups and contributing to the development of new programs and services. Good record keeping of client contact is necessary, and often mental health workers will have a role to play in community education programs.

Mental health roles include but are not limited to:

  • Mental Health Counsellor.
  • Psychologist
  • Psychiatrist
  • Social Worker
  • Mental health nurse

Counsellors – work with people who are suffering from mental health issues arising from trauma, alcohol and drug abuse and stress. Counsellors provide assessment and therapy to assist people through this time.

What do I need to be good at?
  • Working with people
  • Listening
  • Communicating
  • Reading and writing
  • Problem solving
How much do they get paid?

Generally roles in the Allied Health and Mental Health areas would commence from $60,000 per annum.

Please see or for further information about wages

Where can I get trained?

Federation Training offer a number of local training opportunities:

Other courses can be found through the Victorian Skills Gateway:

At school by…

Doing Work experience with a local physiotherapist, speech or occupational therapist for Allied Health or with organisations like headspace, MIND or Lifeline for Mental Health.

Enrolling in VET in Schools – complete a Certificate II in Community Services qualification while attending school

School Based Apprenticeships/Traineeships (SBAT) – start your qualification and get paid to work while you finish secondary school.

At TAFE or other registered training organisations

Certificate III in Allied Health Assistance

Certificate IV in Allied Health

Certificate IV in Mental Health

Diploma of Mental Health

At university…

You can take an undergraduate degree at university in:

Bachelor of Physiotherapy

Bachelor of Occupational Therapy

Bachelor of Speech Pathology

Bachelor of Psychological Science

On the job…

Look for a school-based apprenticeship or for a full-time apprenticeship with an individual employer or a local apprenticeship provider – they’re listed on Australian Apprenticeships .

Look for:

Certificate III in Allied Health

What does this job lead to?

May go on to further training to become:

  • Aged care coordinators or managers
  • Team managers
  • Small business owners
  • Educators