Disability Services and Aged Care

What do they do?
  • Care for people in their home or in community facilities.
  • Arranges social activities, outings, shopping trips and accompanies the client on the activity.
  • Providementoring, emotional support and assistance.
  • Can provide assistance in relation to housekeeping and management of personal hygiene.
What do I need to be good at?
  • Working with people
  • Organisational skills
  • Empathy
  • Problem solving
  • Listening and taking notes
How much does an Aged & Disabled Care Worker get paid?

The average salary is $47,000 which can vary depending on experience, training and penalty rates.

Please see fairwork.gov.au or joboutlook.gov.au for further information about wages

Where can I get trained?

Federation Training offer a number of local training opportunities: http://www.federationtraining.edu.au/courses/

Other courses can be found through the Victorian Skills Gateway: https://www.skills.vic.gov.au/victorianskillsgateway

At school by…

Doing Work experience with a disability provider, aged care provider or home and community care service.

Enrolling in VET in Schools – complete a Certificate II in Community Services qualification while attending school

School Based Apprenticeships/Traineeships (SBAT) – start your qualification and get paid to work while you finish secondary school.

At TAFE or other registered training organisations

Certificate III in Individual Support, Aged or Disability stream.

Certificate IV in Disability

Certificate IV in Home and Community Care

What does this job lead to?

Aged Care Workers may go on to further training to become:

  • Aged care coordinators or managers
  • Dietitians
  • Health promotions officers
  • Recreational therapists
  • Lifestyle therapists
  • Therapy aides

Disability Care Workers may go on to further training to become:

  • Disability care coordinators or managers
  • Youth residential care supervisors
  • Health promotions officers
  • Educators
  • Recreational therapists
  • Lifestyle therapists
  • Therapy aides
  • Acquire qualifications to work in child and family services

Progressing your career

The Health and community services sector has a large array of employment opportunities which can be accessed through Diploma or degree qualifications in Human Services disciplines. Examples of these include diplomas in Nursing or Community Services and a range of degree qualifications in human services areas such as Social Work, Psychology, Nursing or Allied Health disciplines.

Accessing entry level opportunities through aged care and disability services provides a good platform to work while studying to achieve higher qualifications in health and community services sector for further career progression. This sector is the largest growth sector in Australia.